“And the four living creatures, each one of them having six wings, are full of eyes around and within; and day and night they do not cease to say, "HOLY, HOLY, HOLY is THE LORD GOD, THE ALMIGHTY, WHO WAS AND WHO IS AND WHO IS TO COME." … the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to Him who sits on the throne, to Him who lives forever and ever” (Revelation 4:8-9 NASB)
The only One who sits on the throne over EVERYTHING is the Lord God Almighty. Therefore, He deserves more praise than is possible for me to proclaim with heart and mouth combined. I need to not just recognize He is in charge, but THANK God for being King of all.
Isaiah records the experience of actually seeing God on His throne in a vision. Try to picture this scene in your mind as you read this verse:
- In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!" And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke. (Isaiah 6:1-4 ESV)
What a picture! I find great value in focusing on God seated on His throne, because it helps me remember: He. Is. In. Charge. Yes, His character includes grace and mercy. Patience. Lovingkindness. Love. But His character is also perfectly holy and He reigns!
If I fail to stop and recognize His preeminent worth as the only Ruler, I miss a facet of His holiness. He makes every rule, law, and decree because He sits on the throne. If His Word makes me uncomfortable than it is my problem. I have to change, not Him, BECAUSE He is on the throne!
- Thus says the LORD, "Heaven is My throne and the earth is My footstool… (Isaiah 66:1a NASB)
- The LORD reigns, let the earth rejoice; Let the many islands be glad. (Psalm 97:1 NASB)
- The LORD reigns, let the peoples tremble; He is enthroned above the cherubim, let the earth shake! (Psalm 99:1 NASB)
The fact that the Lord reigns in majesty, strength, and immovability is worthy of my praise. Every. Day.
- The LORD reigns; he is robed in majesty; the LORD is robed; he has put on strength as his belt. Yes, the world is established; it shall never be moved. Your throne is established from of old; you are from everlasting. (Psalm 93:1-2 ESV)
History is full of rulers who were unrighteous and power-hungry. They destroyed their people for their own gain. But on eternity’s stage their time in charge is barely a hiccup. On the other hand, our Heavenly Father reigns forever, and His eternal throne is one of uprightness. Righteousness is HOW He rules- that demands rejoicing!
- Your throne, O God, is forever and ever. The scepter of your kingdom is a scepter of uprightness; (Psalm 45:6 ESV)
- You, O LORD, rule forever; Your throne is from generation to generation. (Lamentations 5:19 NASB)
The Lord in on the throne, but He chooses to not be our puppet master. He allows all people on earth to live with the freedom of choice, and the consequences that entails. He doesn’t fix every problem, or prevent every tragedy, but He also doesn’t leave us alone. And from His throne He SEES. We can look forward to the day He will cause all things to align with His character.
- The LORD is in his holy temple; the LORD's throne is in heaven; his eyes see, his eyelids test the children of man. (Psalm 11:4 ESV)
- He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the chariots with fire. "Be still, and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:9-10a ESV)
When will He fix everything? I don’t know, but from Scripture I do know He is not in a rush, but patient because He desires as many as possible to reach repentance.
- But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. (2 Peter 3:8-9 ESV)
So, I will trust the past, present, and future to my King, who reigns from His throne in the Heavens, and who reigns in my heart.
- … I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,' (Isaiah 46:9b-10 ESV)
'HEAVEN IS MY THRONE, AND EARTH IS THE FOOTSTOOL OF MY FEET (Acts 7:49a NASB)
My King- I don’t know that I have ever bothered to say this, but I want to say thank You for being in charge. Thank You that You reign in holiness and righteousness. I can trust every command that comes from You, because it flows from Your holy heart.
Lord, I ask for Your forgiveness for every time I have failed to recognize You as King. You don't answer to me, nor must You explain. You reign!
Thank You that Your Kingship is holy, righteous, complete. Thank You God that Your eye misses nothing. Even if it appears someone got away with evil I know I can trust You to rule with righteousness, and I leave the judgement of evil in this world in Your hands. I trust You to make it right in Your time.
Thank You King Jesus for being patient and for desiring redemption for as many as possible. It is the combination of Your great love and Your awesome majesty that drops me to my knees.
You are my King! I trust You, praise You, exalt You, and bow before You. All my allegiance is Yours, all the days of my life.
- The LORD has established his throne in the heavens, and his kingdom rules over all. Bless the LORD, O you his angels, you mighty ones who do his word, obeying the voice of his word! (Psalm 103:19-20 ESV)
What an amazing privilege to praise our King! I must never forget He is also my victorious King. He deserves ALL my obedience, ALL my loyalty, and ALL my praise.
Here are a few more references you might find helpful.
(Psalm 103:19) (Psalm 9:7) (Hebrews 1:8) (Isaiah 52:7) (Revelation 11:17) (Revelation 19:6)
Sign up below and receive a prayer in you email every day for the month of January, 2018. Starting our year concentrating on our amazing Lord will change our whole outlook!