Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. (Romans 8:26 ESV)
Day 18- How To Use My Time
The Lord blesses us with the resource of time. However, the clock often feels more like an enemy than a gift to me. It keeps marching along and I struggle to fit all my tasks into the hours given. Can you relate? Today we will ask Jesus to help us understand how to use our time.
- Remember how short my time is! (Psalm 89:47a ESV)
At least I am not the only one who experiences the shortfall of time. It is comforting when Scripture confirms the struggle. It also gives the solution!
- Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. (Colossians 4:5 ESV)
Using the gift of time well allows me to invest in what God values, and the Word lets me know what that is.
- He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8 ESV)
This is our directive, but it can look very different, depending on which season of life you are in.
- For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: ... He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart, ... I said in my heart, God will judge the righteous and the wicked, for there is a time for every matter and for every work. (Ecclesiastes 3:1, 11, 17 ESV)
In the days of many small children, serving the Lord involves training, loving, and feeding the kids. While not glamorous, it is holy work. Other seasons might include work, friends, ministry, service, hospitality, and multitudes of small faithful acts, wherever God places us. There is no retirement with the Lord. Prayer helps us see the tasks the Lord has given us in the season we are in.
- Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Ephesians 5:15-17 ESV)
Because the days are evil, making the best use of my time is more important that ever. I want to walk wisely, with a view to eternity. But for that, I need more of Jesus.
- Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:16 ESV)
Drawing near to God requires time. To focus on Jesus I have to stop focusing on my phone, my computer, the TV, or the multitudes of other distractions available. I can’t expect the Lord to shower His mercy and grace on me without pausing long enough to at least ask for it.
- Therefore let everyone who is godly offer prayer to you at a time when you may be found (Psalm 32:6a ESV)
We are CALLED to prayer. Prayer is a service we offer the Lord, and taking the time to actually do it can be a sacrifice.
- For I do not want to see you now just in passing. I hope to spend some time with you, if the Lord permits. (1 Corinthians 16:7 ESV)
Another challenge in the busyness of life is slowing down enough to focus on individuals that need our love. We show others the love of Jesus through how well we love them. Who will the Lord bring into our lives this year for us to love on?
- Besides this you know the time, that the hour has come for you to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed. (Romans 13:11 ESV)
I am asking the Lord to wake me up this year to the ministry around me. I need His vision to see where He wants me to work to spread His Word.
- For he says, "In a favorable time I listened to you, and in a day of salvation I have helped you." Behold, now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Corinthians 6:2 ESV)
NOW is the time. This year I want to live in the now to be as effective for Jesus as possible.
- so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions but for the will of God. (1 Peter 4:2 ESV)
Day 18 Prayer
- yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. (James 4:14 ESV)
I do not know precisely what 2017 holds, but I do know You have work for me to do in the short days, hours, and minutes that it holds.
Lord I ask You to help me see through the distraction so I can know where You desire I invest and use my time. Show me how to walk wisely and please reveal to me Your will.
I come to Your throne asking for the grace to faithfully invest time where You direct. Lord, there are so many people around. Who do You desire I spend time with? Who do You desire I be Your hands and feet to? Please give me grace when this is inconvenient or unappreciated.
Lord, please help me trust You with the season I am currently in. I submit to You my time constraints and responsibilities. I accept them as from Your hand. Please reveal to me how to faithfully live in THIS season and in light of eternity.
And Lord, I ask You to help me see the urgency of NOW. Please help me be free of the many distractions so I can live for You and build Your Kingdom.
You are the best use of my time. Please show me how to live like I believe that in 2017.
- Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, (1 Peter 5:6 ESV)
May your time be blessed and multiplied this year as you live for Jesus!
Leave a comment below and let me know how I can pray for you.