Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. (Colossians 4:2 ESV)
Day 27: Directions For The Year
Yesterday we asked the Lord to make 2017 an eternally fruitful and effective year for us. No matter what tasks He gives us, there will be decisions and choices to make. We live in a land with the blessing of abundance. But that also creates complexity, which muddies the water. The options available results in difficult decision making. Which should I choose? How do I know I made the right choice?
- With weeping they shall come, and with pleas for mercy I will lead them back, I will make them walk by brooks of water, in a straight path in which they shall not stumble, for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn. (Jeremiah 31:9 ESV)
Pleading for mercy and asking for directions, I come to my Lord in prayer. He promises not only to lead me, but but also to do so beside water, which offers refreshment, and on a straight path, so I don’t stumble.
- "I will lead the blind by a way they do not know, In paths they do not know I will guide them. I will make darkness into light before them And rugged places into plains. These are the things I will do, And I will not leave them undone." (Isaiah 42:16 NASB)
Hallelujah- God leads the blind! I often lack the ability to see through the haze of needs, requirements, and desires. I want to focus on the most important item, but the discernment needed is missing. The God Who heals and leads the blind, promises to make darkness light. I can ask Him for directions and trust His answer.
- Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! (Romans 11:33 ESV)
There is no greater well of wisdom for answers to my dilemmas. The Lord is my best resource when looking for answers.
- Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel, "I am the LORD your God, who teaches you to profit, Who leads you in the way you should go. (Isaiah 48:17 NASB)
He promises to lead me where I need to go. As I look at 2017, and the options available, I will spend time today asking for His direction. I desire to follow nothing other than Him this year.
- Your ears will hear a word behind you, "This is the way, walk in it," whenever you turn to the right or to the left. (Isaiah 30:21 NASB)
When I stand at a fork in the road and wonder which way to go, I pray. At least that is what I SHOULD do. Sometimes I am too busy to linger and wait on the still small voice to direct me. Instead, I march off full of determination and get myself into trouble. This year I want to wait for the Lord’s directions and only go where He instructs.
- "So you shall observe to do just as the LORD your God has commanded you; you shall not turn aside to the right or to the left. (Deuteronomy 5:32 NASB)
God has recorded His wisdom to guide us. Many “options” can quickly be eliminated if we line them up with the Word. God’s direction for our year will never contradict His Truth. Which means I must be in the Word daily, and use it to guide my prayers for instruction.
- Thus says the LORD, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls. (Jeremiah 6:16a, NASB)
As I steep myself in God’s Word, and use it to guide my prayers for direction, I will see the good way. Not only is this the way I should walk, this path actually provides rest. What an amazing promise!
- Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning; For I trust in You; Teach me the way in which I should walk; For to You I lift up my soul. (Psalm 143:8 NASB)
Every morning of 2017 I want to ask the Lord for directions for the day. But let’s start with asking for guidance for the year. Which path would the Lord have us take? Where should our energies be focused? Let’s dive into His commandments, look for the ancient paths, and listen for the Voice which prompts us, “This is the way, walk in it.”
- I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you. (Psalm 32:8 NASB)
Day 27 Prayer
I thank You for this New Year to live for You. But with all of its potential opportunities, I admit I feel overwhelmed and confused. I ask today for your direction and leading. Of the many good options available, where would You have me invest my energy? What path should I take? I want my work to be eternally fruitful, and for that I must only go where You lead.
I am so grateful that You are a God who makes blind eyes see. I come to You blind today. Please heal my perspective so I see the path You want me to stay on. I trust You to lead me beside still water and to protect me from my enemies.
Thank you for the wisdom in Your Word. It provides the light for every step of my path this year. (Psalm 119:105) Help me walk in obedience to Your commands, even when they seem counter-intuitive. I want to trust You more than I trust myself, and obeying Your Word is a way for me to trust You. I also ask You to convict me to spend more time in Your Word so that I am saturated by its wisdom and know Your commands.
I know I will face many decision points in 2017. Enable me to linger in those moments and not rush the process. I want to wait on You and Your voice for directions. As You lead, I will follow. Help me know which option is best and which direction I should take.
I ask You Jesus for daily guidance. Please make my blind eyes see Your way, and make my dear ears hear Your wisdom that I would live for You and produce eternal fruit in 2017.
To the glory of Your name! Amen
I pray the Lord takes you down exciting new paths in 2017, where you see His hand and experience His presence!
- He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. (Psalm 23:2-3 ESV)