praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, (Ephesians 6:18 ESV)
Day 29- Praying For Endurance
We are nearing our end of praying for 31 days. Over the last 28 days we have covered lots of ground- praying for our minds, hearts, relationships, work, and ministry. Today we will ask the Lord for the endurance necessary to carry out the answers He is giving. Wherever He points us, it will require perseverance to push through resistance and obstacles to get to the finish line.
- For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised. (Hebrews 10:36 ESV)
We need endurance to carry on through the year, but thankfully we do not have to manufacture that on our own.
- Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. (Ephesians 6:10 ESV)
My strength is derived from the Lord’s strength. Jesus in me gives me the physical and mental power to continue.
- Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, (Hebrews 12:1 ESV)
Eleven months of 2017 stretch before us. Endurance and strength are necessary to fulfill God’s assignments, so we must lay aside distraction, worry, or sin that weighs down the journey. What extra weight can we get rid of in order to be more effective?
- "Only be strong and very courageous; be careful to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, so that you may have success wherever you go. (Joshua 1:7 NASB)
Obeying God’s law will actually give us endurance and strength. When we live life according to the manufacturer’s instructions, we run better and have more energy for the work. So let’s ask the Lord to help us understand His Word so we can live according to it.
- May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, (Romans 15:5 ESV)
It is hard to have the endurance we need for the Lord’s assignments when we struggle with difficult relationships. So let’s ask Jesus to help us live in harmony with the people He places in our lives. The God of endurance can give us the strength needed, and the God of encouragement the help required to continue, no matter the response we receive.
- so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him: bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; being strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. (Colossians 1:10-12 ESV)
In order to walk out God’s direction and proceed through every open door He gives us, we need endurance. God’s glorious might strengthens us for the tasks ahead. What a glorious privilege to be entrusted with work so challenging that we require the Lord’s strength to be able to carry it out!
- "'I know your works, your love and faith and service and patient endurance, and that your latter works exceed the first. (Revelation 2:19 ESV)
What an encouragement- that my “latter works exceed the first.” Even though I am getting older, the Lord isn’t done with me. In fact, if I persevere with patient endurance, along with love, faith and service, my works at this stage can be more effective. Let’s pray our work in 2017 will exceed anything we have done before.
- Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, (Romans 5:3-4 ESV)
No matter what lies ahead, God can use it to produce great growth in our lives. Our difficulties grow our endurance. Continuing in endurance forms character in our soul, out of which grows hope. And that hope fuels us to continue running our race.
Prayer Day 29
for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:3-4 ESV)
Thank You for the work You are preparing for me to carry out this year. I want to faithfully minister where You place me. But I know I do not have the strength to do that on my own. I ask You to strengthen me so I have the endurance to continue on to the finish line.
Please reveal to me the distractions and sin that entangle me. Please free me from these items that cripple my endurance and keep me from running Your race.
Lord, I ask You to help me understand Your Word better. I trust You that You desire my best, so I need to know what You command me. I confess to feeling too busy to spend more time in Scripture. Please help me lay aside less productive activities, and concentrate on Your Word. Cause it to go deep into my soul so I obey it completely.
I ask You to help me live in harmony with the people You have given me. Help me love, forgive, and serve like Jesus. Please give me the endurance to continue that regardless of the response I receive.
Thank You Lord for every assignment and open door for 2017. I know they are beyond my strength and wisdom, so I ask You to fill me with Your glorious might. As I get older I am also more tired and less patient. But I desire my latter work to exceed anything I have already done. Please fill me with the endurance to not slack off now. Even in the face of suffering, please produce the endurance, character, and hope I need to keep running.
May I run the race of 2017 through the power of Your Spirit so that I spread Your Word that the world might know You are God. I cannot faithfully complete Your tasks without Your enabling. I am Yours Lord, please give me the endurance to finish my race.
- Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus. (Revelation 14:12 ESV)
I pray God gives you such an assignment this year, that only through His strength fueled by His endurance, you can carry it out! May the world be turned upside down as we faithfully follow Him.