“Mommy! See if you can find me!” My three-year-old’s sweet cry called me to the living room. Plopped on the sofa, he hid behind a pillow pulled over his face.
“Where’s Aaron? I can’t find Aaron,” I played along. In his childlike mind, if he couldn’t see me, I couldn’t see him.
Sweet memory- but it feels oddly familiar. I often treat my Heavenly Father the same way as my toddler did me. I delude myself in to thinking I can hide my actual thoughts from Him as easily as I can from my acquaintances.
But God is the One from whom NOTHING is hidden. Nothing. That is comforting. Terrifying. Exhilarating. Dreadful. On the one hand, no scheme or harm against me exists that our Lord does not know fully. The secret machinations of my enemy are NOT SECRET from God.
But on the other hand, the dark corners of my heart aren’t hidden either. How incredible- He loves me anyway. The bad news becomes good news when I realize that the Lord KNEW my worst when He died on the cross for me. His love occurs in the full knowledge of EXACTLY what I think and do.
So, with a bit of fear and trembling, coupled with amazement and joy, I thank my God that NOTHING is hidden from Him.
Consider all the attributes we have thanked God for in the past twenty-three days. Every. Single. Thing. has been true AT THE SAME TIME that He knew my worst parts. THAT is love undeserved. I can thank the Lord that my secret sins are set in the Light of the presence of Jesus.
- You have set our iniquities before you, our secret sins in the light of your presence. (Psalm 90:8 ESV)
My Jesus knows every part of my day. Where I go, what I do, how I speak, what I think. He knows the harsh retort that itches to leap from my tongue. Even the candy bar I am eating by myself in my closet- the one whose wrapper lies deep in the trash, tucked under a wad of paper.
- O LORD, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether. (Psalm 139:1-4 ESV)
When I turned my life over to Jesus, His Holy Spirit took up residence. Nothing is hidden. When I am convicted to not say something, not click on a website, not post a snide remark, not return evil with evil, it is the Holy Spirit leading me to the love of the Lord. He knows everything, and He wants to lead me to a better way. What a blessing to be totally known.
- for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything. (1 John 3:20 ESV)
Another way God reveals what lurks underneath our exteriors is His Word- His living, breathing, cutting, dividing Word. It lays open my thoughts and desires and reveals where those don’t line up with my Lord. My stuff lies naked before God. Exposed. So why not go ahead and deal with the sin revealed through studying the Bible? Confess it and receive the forgiveness offered by the all-knowing Lord.
- For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. (Hebrews 4:12-13 ESV)
He is our Hiding Place! We already thanked Him for that. But He is the One thing from which we can never hide. What a great privilege. How much He loves us.
- Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the LORD. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the LORD. (Jeremiah 23:24 ESV)
- Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! (Psalm 139:7-8 ESV)
We can never run away from God. He knows everywhere we travel. But He is not some creepy big brother in the sky, making sure we don’t have any fun. No, He is a loving parent that desire us to thrive, while never loosing touch with Him.
- "For his eyes are on the ways of a man, and he sees all his steps (Job 34:21 ESV)
- For a man's ways are before the eyes of the LORD, and he ponders all his paths. (Proverbs 5:21 ESV)
Our Lord accounts every secret pain, hidden tear, swallowed retort. We are not alone in whatever private pain exists in our lives.
- You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book? (Psalm 56:8 ESV)
Since nothing is hidden, no one gets away with a thing. Every lie, cheat, false accusation, theft, and unkindness is accounted. We don’t have to work vengeance on those who hurt us. We can leave that with the Lord, who knows everything.
- Nothing is covered up that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. (Luke 12:2 ESV)
- on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus. (Romans 2:16 ESV)
- In the pride of his face the wicked does not seek him; all his thoughts are, "There is no God." ... He says in his heart, "God has forgotten, he has hidden his face, he will never see it." ... But You do see, for You note mischief and vexation, that you may take it into Your hand (Psalm 10:4, 11, 14 ESV)
My Lord, who knows every corner of my being, thank You. I understand a little more about the depth of Your love by realizing that You fully know me, while fully loving me.
Since there are no secret sins, I ask You to help me deal with whatever I have tried to hide away or ignore, today. Thank You, that I couldn’t shock You if I tried. You already know it all, so I ask You to help me deal with it, speak it, confess it, and ask for Your forgiveness. The enemy is the only one who loves darkness. Thank You that You love light. Please help me put it all in Your light.
Thank You, for Your Spirit abiding in my life. I want to listen and obey today. I would rather live like You than my worst inclination.
Lord, I also thank You for Your Word. Help me dive deep and long into its truth so my wrong thinking will be exposed. Please help me obey what it instructs and confess what it reveals.
I am so grateful Lord that none of my pain is hidden from You. You know the challenges I face in relationships, bank accounts, work, home, and health. Nothing hidden means I am not alone, even at my loneliest. Thank You Lord, that every wrong against me is seen and in Your hands. I will leave it all with You and stop fretting.
Thank You that no matter how hard I try I can’t run away from You. I am never hidden from You, nor past Your care. You catch my tears and guard my steps. Thank You, my all-knowing Lord. There is none like You.
Oh my friend, live in the joy of the fullness of the Light. Nothing in our lives can shock or repel our Lord. what deep relationship that offers. I am praying for you today to fall deeper in love with Your God from whom NOTHING is hidden!
Receive these prayers in your inbox for the rest of the month of January, 2018 and join us in concentrating on the amazing God we serve. He deserves our praise! Everyone who signs up will also receive all the prayer links compiled at the end of the month so we can all keep praising and thanking our extraordinary Savior!