Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. (Romans 12:12 ESV)
Day 15: Walking Out God’s Call
Yesterday, we asked for God to write our plans for 2017, but at the same time we recognized He might call us to tasks that are impossible without Him. So today, we will pray for the Lord's help so we can walk out that plan, on whatever path He places us, to His glory and the building of His Kingdom.
- I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, (Ephesians 4:1 ESV)
Every Believer in Jesus has a royal calling on their life. Living out that calling is a year by year and day by day decision. Daily, I make decisions to walk or not walk according to that call. As the faithful days build upon each other, they add up to years, and eventually a lifetime of following Jesus.
- There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death. (Proverbs 14:12 ESV)
Here is the problem: my mind gets loud and drowns out the still, small voice of the Spirit. I start feeling smart and sure of myself and before I know it, I am in trouble. Instead of walking according to the Lord’s commands and by His power, I plan according to what seems right to me.
- Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil. (Proverbs 3:5-7 ESV)
This is where prayer comes in. I need the Lord to show me where to go and how to walk. I cannot walk in this fallen world without His continual aid. Trusting in the Lord, leaning on Him, and fearing Him keep my feet on His path.
- For we walk by faith, not by sight. (2 Corinthians 5:7 ESV)
God calls me to plans that are often counter-intuitive. I need oceans of faith to believe Him and trust enough to follow His way, and for that I must pray.
- For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:10 ESV)
God created us for the works He has for us. Scripture spells out exactly how to walk God’s calling. Let’s take a look at those and then pray for the Lord to supply us with all this fuel we need to not waver or quit on our calling for 2017. The Lord instructs us to:
Walk in truth:
- Teach me your way, O LORD, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name. (Psalm 86:11 ESV)
Walk in safety:
- Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. (Psalm 23:4 ESV)
Walk in His faithfulness:
- For your steadfast love is before my eyes, and I walk in your faithfulness. (Psalm 26:3 ESV)
Walk in Light:
- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. (1 John 1:7 ESV)
Walk in love:
- And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. (Ephesians 5:2 ESV)
What do you sense that God is calling you to do this year? As you prayed through your desires and plans, did He lay particular items on your heart? Let’s ask Him to invade our hearts and minds so much that we would see exactly where He desires we walk, and then let's walk according to our calling.
Prayer Day 15-
- Lead me, O LORD, in your righteousness because of my enemies; make your way straight before me. (Psalm 5:8 ESV)
Thank You that you do not leave me to myself, to figure out what to do. I am so grateful for Your calling and Your plan for my life. But I also know I cannot fulfill that call without Your strength and supernatural enabling.
I ask that You help me to walk in truth. I need to be saturated by Your Word this year, in order to carry out Your direction, according to Your plan. Thank You for the faithfulness of the Scripture to teach me all I need.
Lord, please keep me safe this year. I have enemies, both spiritual and physical. So I ask You to go before me and come behind me. You are my Rock and my Shelter. Help me to hide in You and trust in Your protection.
Thank You Lord that You are faithful and true. Help me to stay right beside You, all of 2017. I want to walk only where You lead. I desire to stay on Your path instead of going off on my own.
Lord, I ask You to help me stay in the light and walk according to the light. There is so much darkness in the world, and it is so easy to wander into that darkness if I don’t pay attention. May the truth of the Word and the guidance of the Spirit keep me in the light this year.
And finally, I ask You to assist me as I try and walk in love. Jesus, You showed me exactly how to walk in love without compromise. I want to fulfill Your calling this year in a way that Your love is seen and felt through my life.
Thank You Jesus, for Your call on my life, and Your plan for this year. Invade me, fill me, and enable me to walk through this year on Your path and to Your glory.
- "Now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require from you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and love Him, and to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the LORD'S commandments and His statutes which I am commanding you today for your good? (Deuteronomy 10:12-13)
If the Lord has laid plans for your year that need some prayer, share them in the comments below. I will pray for you!
Blessings to you, dear one. May the Lord show Himself strong on your behalf.
- Thus says the LORD: "Stand by the roads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls. … (Jeremiah 6:16 ESV)