Hear, O LORD, when I cry aloud; be gracious to me and answer me! You have said, "Seek my face." My heart says to you, "Your face, LORD, do I seek." (Psalm 27:7-8 ESV)
Day 31- Committing 2017 To Jesus!
The verse at the top paints the picture of prayer as seeking the Lord’s face. That is what we have been doing for the last 31 days- seeking the Lord’s face and expecting Him to answer because we trust Him. He is a good Father who loves us and hears our prayers.
- The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. "The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him." The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. (Lamentations 3:22-25 ESV)
The Lord, to whom we pray, loves us steadfastly and has new mercy for us every single morning. Today, as we pray to this God, who is good to those who seek Him, let’s commit this year again to His loving care. I want to obey Him faster and love others more than I have ever done before. But I need Jesus to do that.
- For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:10 ESV)
Since He created me in Jesus FOR good works, which He has prepared for me to do, I want to walk in them- faithfully, completely, and fearlessly. I ask Him for the strength I do not have on my own.
- "Now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require from you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and love Him, and to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, (Dueteronomy 10:12)
In this verse, God condenses His 613 Laws down to one set of principles: fear the Lord, walk in His ways, love Him and serve Him with all my heart and soul. It is not that complicated. Not easy, but not complicated. Let’s ask the Lord to give us the clarity to live these principles on a daily basis this year.
- For you are my rock and my fortress; and for your name's sake you lead me and guide me; you take me out of the net they have hidden for me, for you are my refuge. (Psalm 31:3-4 ESV)
Yesterday we prayed for the unknown future. Today, I am asking the Lord to keep me squarely in Him, regardless of what happens. He is my rock. He is my fortress. This year I want to be so surrounded by Him, He infiltrates every thought, motivation, and decision.
- For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness. (Psalm 84:10 ESV)
What mission and good work has Jesus prepared for us to walk in? I hope the last 30 days of praying have helped you gain an idea of His direction for you. Let's be about the Lord’s work, whatever assignment He gives us.
- He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way,... Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift! (2 Corinthians 9:10-11, 15 ESV)
Not only am I asking for Jesus’ assignment, I am also relying on Him for the supplies. If I try to produce the work of the Lord in my own strength, I have the “work of Susan,” not the “work of Jesus.” Let’s ask the Lord to give us eyes to see the seed He provides. May He multiply it and make the harvest plentiful! May our generosity abound and our thanksgiving to Him never cease.
- This is the LORD's doing; it is marvelous in our eyes. This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. (Psalm 118:23-24 ESV)
This year is the Lord’s doing. He created and established it, so we can respond with joy and gladness! No matter the state of the world, nation, economy, or our personal situations, let’s live this marvelous year with the joy that comes from trusting Him.
- Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act. (Psalm 37:5 ESV)
- Commit your work to the LORD, and your plans will be established. (Proverbs 16:3 ESV)
Let’s commit every month, every week, every day, every hour, every second of 2017 to the Lord, and then watch the amazing ways He will act.
Day 31 Prayer
Thank You for Your nearness as I pray. I am so grateful that if I seek You, You will let Yourself be found. You stand ready with new mercies for this day. Thank You for Your love which is so steadfast and constant. I stand amazed that the God of the universe is intimately invested in my life. I want to live that life in obedience to Your direction.
Thank You for creating me and for creating works for me to do. I cannot complete those without You filling me with Your Spirit. I ask You to help me see the work You have ordained for me this year so that I can obediently follow You in accomplishing it.
But Lord, I ask You to help me keep my eyes on You. I easily focus on the work rather than on the Commissioner of that work. I want to do the work You assign, but I never want to wander out of Your provision. Please keep me from the presumption that I can do work for the Kingdom in my own human power. But please also keep me from complacency and neglect of the seed You give me. I want to spread Your truth wherever You place me.
Please allow me to bring glory to Your name. As I love others in Your name, I want to follow You so closely they see You and not me. Please help me to lay aside distractions and to live in Your simplicity: to fear You, walk in Your way, love You, and serve You with all my heart and soul.
Thank You for Your protection. I want to stay grounded in You, my rock and fortress. Whatever this year throws at me, please help me remain in You.
Lord, I marvel at all You do. I am grateful for this day and this year. Even when I am tired or discouraged this year, I never want to lose the joy I have in You. I commit every moment of 2017 to You. Please show me the way to go, the work to do, and the plans to make. May every effort of my mind and heart be in the power of Your Spirit and to the glory of Your name.
2017 is Yours, Jesus. May I make much of You every day of this year.
I am excited to see what the Lord will do as we rest in Him. Let's keep praying all year.
If the Lord has shown you something special over the past 31 days, I invite you to leave a comment. I would love to hear all about it!
Blessings upon blessings for your 2017!
- I love the LORD, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live. (Psalm 116:1-2 ESV)