Anybody else sick of their Facebook feed? Anyone else tired of the point, counter-point, counter-to-the-counter-point?
Am I the only one that is thinking of blocking the posts of people I love because it takes more self-control than I possess to not argue with them?
Everyone seems to be searching for their personal high ground to take potshots at the opposite viewpoint. Ears plugged. Mouths open. Fingers pointing. Anger resounding. People separating. Divides deepening.
I desperately want to yell, "WILL EVERYBODY SHUT THEIR TRAPS FOR JUST A MOMENT?!" Maybe, just maybe, if there was a moment of silence we could re-calibrate.
What Can I Do?
Since I don't have a megaphone that will send my "shut it" instruction across the nation, I decided I should find another solution. Otherwise my options are to either become a raving lunatic or a hermit hiding in a cave to escape the madness.
Since neither of those responses seem to line up with Scripture, I kept looking for another. The answer is the "always answer" to problems and conundrums. At the times when there is NOTHING else I can do, I can still pray.
Honestly, when there are a million actions I can take, I should still start with prayer.
We all know our country is off kilter. And, all who are honest know that did not begin with the election of Donald Trump. Our country has needed intervening prayer for some time. Maybe the best thing this election did was move people from complacency, anger, or worry to actual prayer.
Let's stop talking to each other, at each other, or over each other.
Let's start talking to Jesus. He is the only One with answers.
Commitment to Prayer
I have made some commitments, and I invite you to join me:
- BEFORE I post a "really powerful" indictment of the opposite viewpoint, I am going to pray.
- BEFORE I reply to the inane arguments that are obviously misguided from my point of view, I am going to pray.
- AFTER I watch a news report about a riot, a news conference, a march, a tweet, or any other thing, I am gong to pray.
- AS SOON AS I recognize anxiety, worry, or despair, I am going to pray.
Scripture to Pray
- If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. (Romans 12:18 ESV)
- Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. (Hebrews 12:14 ESV)
- Lord, I find myself on the opposite side of issues from family, friends, and co-workers. I ask You to give me wisdom to value relationship over viewpoint. Show me how to live lovingly and peaceably.
- Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. (Romans 13:1 ESV)
- Thank You Lord, that You can work through every government. I ask You to cause anything the enemy meant for loss, to be turned to gain. I ask You to steer the governing authorities You allowed to be in office.
Following the Lord
- "If you will fear the LORD and serve Him, and listen to His voice and not rebel against the command of the LORD, then both you and also the king who reigns over you will follow the LORD your God. (1 Samuel 12:14)
- Lord, I give my heart to listen, obey, and follow You. I ask that You supernaturally give our President, Senators, Congressmen/women, Secretaries, judges, and all in authority hearts to fear You as well.
- if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayer that is made in this place. (2 Chronicles 7:14-15 ESV)
- Lord, no matter what I see others doing wrong, I know the greatest problem is my own sin. I confess I need You, Your forgiveness, Your love, Your healing. Please forgive me. Send conviction on us all.
Praising Jesus Even Now
- I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33 ESV)
- Lord I don't see peace. It seems impossibly out of reach. This world overflows with dissension and tribulation. But You are the only One who overcomes ALL of this. Thank you. Help me lean into You and take heart in the hope You give.
These Scriptures just scratch the surface of the promises and admonitions available in the Bible to pray. Here is another post about praying for our nation with some more. The important thing is to keep praying.
Our country needs all of us to shut our traps, close our eyes, humble our hearts, and pray, and pray, and pray.
So let's keep praying!
If you have a suggestion, a prayer request, or a verse please share in the comments below.