that they may offer pleasing sacrifices to the God of heaven and pray for the life of the king and his sons. (Ezra 6:10 ESV)
Day 25- Praying For Our World and Nation
Praying for for our country has never been so important. It is also an opportunity and privilege. God calls all Believers to this type of prayer.
- if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayer that is made in this place. (2 Chronicles 7:14-15 ESV)
This oft-quoted Scripture holds numerous instructions: humble myself, pray, seek God’s face, turn from my wicked ways. As I pray for the nation, I start with myself. I admit and confess my own sins. Personal repentance always precedes God’s favor. I also ask God’s forgiveness of our nation’s sins.
- But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare. (Jeremiah 29:7 ESV)
Wherever God places us, we need to “seek the welfare” of that place and ask the Lord to bless it. Christians should bring salt and light to every location we inhabit. Today, I ask Jesus how He desires I seek the welfare of my city and my nation in 2017.
- First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, (1 Timothy 2:1-3 ESV)
As much turmoil as exists over our country’s leadership, we MUST pray and intercede for our nation. Praying for the “king” means our president, whether his election caused us grief or joy. We need to pray for him and our other government officials. If God says it is good, it IS good! Remember Paul was writing this instruction to Timothy about pagan, Roman rulers. We don’t have to like our leaders to pray for them.
- The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will. (Proverbs 21:1 ESV)
The Lord can turn the heart of the king, so let’s ask God to be in control of the heart of our President. I pray that the President’s heart is turned to the Lord. I also ask Him to direct his heart on decisions, judgments, and appointments. Then I have to trust the Lord and His direction.
- Daniel answered and said: "Blessed be the name of God forever and ever, to whom belong wisdom and might. He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding; (Daniel 2:20-21 ESV)
This Scripture is written by Daniel, who had been driven from his own land and forced to work for a pagan king. Instead of being bitter, He recognized the sovereignty of God. He sought the Lord’s wisdom through prayer in how to serve the King of Babylon. We, as citizens of the nation and Believers in Jesus, should ask the Lord for wisdom and ask Him to give that to us and our leaders.
- Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people whom he has chosen as his heritage! (Psalm 33:12 ESV)
As a nation, we currently seem to be bent on keeping God out of our nation, or at least relegating Him to places He doesn’t mess with our desires. But I am praying for revival in our nation. We need help to be the church of Jesus, so our country will be blessed through us. There is no more radical, history-changing prayer we can offer.
- The nations rage, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts. The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah ... "Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!" (Psalm 46:6-7, 10 ESV)
No matter what occurs, God is God. Sometimes praying consists of simple stillness, a stillness that results when I finally cease my efforts to make sense of the unexplainable. Resting in the Lord’s omnipotence makes this possible.
- so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2:10-11 ESV)
Someday this WILL happen. But until then, let’s pray!
Day 25 Prayer
Lord, to You I lift up my country to Your all-sufficient power. You are the One Who steers nations. Our nation needs steering right now, desperately. There is so much fighting, bickering, and division. We need Your healing and peace in our land.
Lord, I humble myself before You and ask You to forgive me for not obeying You wholly, for not caring for my brother, for not seeking justice, for not spreading Your life-changing Truth. The results of the church failing its mission to be light and salt is seen in every community. I ask You forgiveness for my part. Please show me how to shine Your truth into my community. I ask You to give me creative ideas on how I can seek my city’s welfare this year.
I lift every leader in our land to You. Please give our President wisdom and understanding. Steer his heart toward righteousness and justice. I ask the same for our representatives on the national and local level. I ask for Your truth to guide our courts and Your wisdom to spread to every mind in positions of authority.
Jesus, I ask You to help us, the church, bless our nation. May we follow You so completely that our communities, states, and ultimately our nation would be effected.
Just like You said, the nations are raging and kingdoms are tottering, but You are still on Your throne. You reign in holiness and righteousness. Thank You for the promise that someday every single tongue will confess You as Lord. But until that day I ask You to help me bless our country. And I ask You to pour Your Spirit down us, that our country would repent and turn to You.
May much be made of You in our nation this year.
To the glory of You name. Amen.
- O LORD, how manifold are your works! In wisdom have you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures. (Psalm 104:24 ESV)