Have you ever cried in desperation, “Oh, God, help!” Yeah, I have too. Usually when I am in a mess of my own making.
But sometimes problems are not really my fault. Circumstances in this crazy world get out of control. Life goes careening off the road and I find myself upside down and trapped. At that moment I need a rescuer.
My son is a firefighter and when he arrives at an emergency his focus is to rescue people from harm. When he helps a person escape from a car wreck or puts out the fire at someone’s home, they are incredibly grateful. He is there on their worst day to do all he can to rescue them, and they respond with thankfulness. I am grateful for all our first responders. Where would we be without our rescuers- firefighters, police, and military?
But outside of the physical realm, these courageous people can do nothing to help me. Our Lord, on the other hand, promises to be our ultimate Rescuer. His help extends to any spiritual, physical, or mental catastrophe we experience. When we call, He will answer; when we are in trouble, He will be there. He WILL rescue us.
- When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. (Psalm 91:15 ESV)
We can rest in the security of the skill of our perfect Rescuer who KNOWS exactly how to rescue us in our individual problems.
- then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment until the day of judgment, (2 Peter 2:9 ESV)
David tells us exactly WHY God is our Rescuer, and I believe it from His role as our Heavenly Father, our Abba. He rescues because He delights in us. DELIGHTS in us! Even when we don’t deserve it, He loves us so much that it looks like pure joy.
- He also brought me forth into a broad place; He rescued me, BECAUSE He delighted in me. (2 Samuel 22:20, NASB, emphasis added)
Even when we are assaulted and persecuted, the Lord will rescue us so that we can proclaim His name. And that rescue will someday take us all the way to His heavenly kingdom! Paul went through great persecution as he ministered. Yet toward the end of life, he wasn't bitter. He instead praised his Rescuer.
- But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that through me the proclamation might be full accomplished, and that all the Gentiles might hear; and I was rescued out of the lion’s mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen. (2 Timothy 4:17-18 ESV)
How faithful is our Rescuer? Nehemiah, in a prayer of confession for the people shows how the Lord is there to rescue, even when our problems are our own making or are punishment for turning our back on Him.
- "But as soon as they had rest, they did evil again before You; Therefore You abandoned them to the hand of their enemies, so that they ruled over them. When they cried again to You, You heard from heaven, And many times You rescued them according to Your compassion, (Nehemiah 9:28 NASB)
Rescuer is another name for Savior. Think about it, we deserve death and hell, but Jesus RESCUES us from our just sentence by His act of love on the cross.
- For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, (Colossians 1:13 NASB)
- I will rescue my flock; they shall no longer be a prey. And I will judge between sheep and sheep. (Ezekiel 34:22 ESV)
I am so grateful for a rescuing God. Because the Lord God operates as my Rescuer, my worst problems will be restored someday. That is because my Rescuer is also my Redeemer, and His hands are faithful to hold me close to Him. He is so good, He will take my grief and cause it give me joy.
- I will extol you, O LORD, for you have drawn me up and have not let my foes rejoice over me. ... You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, (Psalm 30:1, 11 ESV)
Our Rescuer deserves praise and gratitude! Think about what you would think of a woman who looked at a firefighter, who had just doused the blaze that had threatened to consume her house, and said, "Whatever. You get paid to do this." Let's not be that person. Let's praise our Rescuer and say thank You!
- Shout for joy to God, all the earth; sing the glory of his name; give to him glorious praise! Say to God, "How awesome are your deeds! So great is your power that your enemies come cringing to you. All the earth worships you and sings praises to you; they sing praises to your name." ... Bless our God, O peoples; let the sound of his praise be heard, who has kept our soul among the living and has not let our feet slip. (Psalm 66:1-4, 8-9 ESV)
(Watch the video after the prayer. Then you will be singing about your Rescuer all day long!)
Help Jesus! I need rescuing! I require Your long arm to help me out of this pit.
Thank You that I can always call to You, that You never tire of my cries for assistance. You are not shocked that once again I need deliverance. In fact, with all my sin, silliness, and befuddlement, You still DELIGHT IN ME! I don’t even understand that, but I stand here, with arms raised and proclaim, “Thank You.”
I am grateful for the examples that assure me, You always know how to rescue. You did it over and over in Scripture. You rescued Your people from Egypt and Daniel from the lions. The only one You didn’t rescue was Yourself. But because You stayed on that cross, today I have Your rescue from the punishment I deserve. I am so grateful for and needful of this help. Thank You for this promise.
I know I will continue to require deliverance. Thank You that You are willing to rescue “many times.” Since all of Your help flows from Your compassion, I know I am not in danger of using up Your willingness. I am so grateful for Your infinite loving heart.
I thank You for rescue. But I don't want to be neglectful of Your aide. I ask You to help me shout about it from the rooftops. I want to give to You glorious praise, sing to Your name, and worship You boldly.
May everyone hear of Your great love for us, Your people. May Your intimate care and passionate, multiple rescues be witnessed by all that know me, and please help me never falter in boldly proclaiming You to the world.
- My God in his steadfast love will meet me; God will let me look in triumph on my enemies. ESV)
- If you want more Scripture, here are few. There are many more! (Gen 50:20) (Psalm 22:8) (Psalm 50:15) (Psalm 59:10) (Isaiah 31:5) (Jeremiah 39:17-18)
In a "coincidence" (wink. wink. 'cause there ain't no coincidences with Jesus!), last night, right after I had worked on this post, I heard a new song by Rend Collective on the car radio. The only reason we were in the car was because a power outage forced us to seek warm sustenance at the local Panda Express.
Rend Collective is my Fav. O. Rite. I really want to have the whole band over to dinner. And they have a new song called, RESCUER!!! Get. Out. I love when God does crazy stuff like this. Just because He can!
Watch the video and praise your Rescuer. He is amazing.
If you would like receive daily prayers for the month of January, 2018, sign up below. Focusing on our amazing Lord changes everything!