"They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord." Ps. 112:7
Day 19- Praying For My Work
- Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. ... (Genesis 2:1-2, ESV)
The Lord of Creation demonstrates the value, power, blessing and holiness of work. His very act of creation is termed work.
- The LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it. (Genesis 2:15 ESV)
The order of events in Genesis is very important. The Lord put Adam in the garden and gave him work before there was ever sin. Work didn’t result from the Fall. Rather it is an aspect of God’s plan for us from the very beginning. Therefore, our work matters and the Lord commissions each of us with labor. And as a longtime homemaker, one of the hardest jobs on the planet, I pray every one of this work prayer alongside those with jobs which receive a paycheck. All areas of labor are included!
- Commit your work to the LORD, and your plans will be established. (Proverbs 16:3 ESV)
Praying for our work in 2017 involves thanking God and committing our work to Him. Whatever we do, we must dedicate the service to Jesus.
- Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. (Colossians 3:23-24 ESV)
What is the worst part of your job? Ask the Lord to help you perform it like you are doing it for Him. Every part of every task is done in service to Christ.
- Thus Hezekiah did throughout all Judah, and he did what was good and right and faithful before the LORD his God. And every work that he undertook in the service of the house of God and in accordance with the law and the commandments, seeking his God, he did with all his heart, and prospered. (2 Chronicles 31:20-21 ESV)
Hezekiah demonstrates the attitude we all need to display. This year, I seek God and ask Him to help me do what is good, right, and faithful, serving Him, with all my heart. If Believers worked like this in all the different jobs we hold, we would turn the world upside down.
- and because he was of the same trade he stayed with them and worked, for they were tentmakers by trade. And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and tried to persuade Jews and Greeks. (Acts 18:3-4 ESV)
Another Biblical example is Paul, who was not only an apostle, but also a tentmaker. Paul had a job and still managed to spread the gospel across the ancient world.
- Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need. (Ephesians 4:28 ESV)
One goal of financial reward of work is to be able to share with others.
- We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming, when no one can work. (John 9:4 ESV)
What has God given me to do NOW. This year. This day. This is my commission and my holy calling.
- Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands upon us; yes, establish the work of our hands! (Psalm 90:17 ESV)
Let’s echo the Psalmist and ask the Lord to establish the work of our hands. May it be worthwhile and stand the test of time.
- The LORD will open to you his good treasury, the heavens, to give the rain to your land in its season and to bless all the work of your hands. And you shall lend to many nations, but you shall not borrow. (Deuteronomy 28:12 ESV)
Let’s also ask the Lord to open heaven and bless our work, that we can bless others.
Day 19 Prayer
My Lord, thank you for work. Thank you that work was your plan from the beginning. We were always designed to labor.
I ask You Lord to help me perform my job faithfully and well. May every task I undertake ultimately be to Your service and Your glory. I want to do all my work as if I was doing it for You. May the results of my labor bring You glory.
I ask You to bless the time and effort I put in on the job so that I would still have time to spend with my family and to participate in ministry in my community. Please help me be a tentmaker, like Paul, so that I can support myself and my family, but also build Your Kingdom.
I ask for Your favor to be on me as I labor. Sometimes it is hard to see the purpose in what I am doing and I succumb to weariness and discouragement. Please help me trust You and Your ability to take the work of my hands and establish it.
And Jesus, I ask You to open the doors of Your heavens and rain down blessings on my labor. May they be fruitful and multiply and bless all those around me. May they testify of You and Your power. And as You bless me, please help me bless others by giving and lending.
All that I work at in 2017 I dedicate to You Jesus. May everything I do bless Your name.
May 2017 be a year where you glorify the Lord in your work, and where the Lord blesses and establishes the work of your hands.
- … aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, (1 Thessalonians 4:11 ESV)